fbpx

Medi-Travelers

Brazil is second only to the USA with regard to numbers of plastic surgeries carried out each year

Brazil has some of the leading hospitals in the world, particularly in the private sector, and its plastic surgeons have an excellent reputation. Around 180,000 foreign Medi-Travelers went to Brazil in 2016.

The cost of medical procedures in Brazil are much lower than in the United States, yet higher than in other medical tourism destination such as Thailand and India.

Private surgeons and top hospitals in Brazil are gradually entering the medical tourism market and trying to accommodate the needs of the English and Spanish speaking health travelers. The large Arab community in Brazil is also a factor in attracting a flow of Medi-Travelers from the Middle East.

São Paulo’s Albert Einstein Hospital was the first JCI-accredited facility outside of the US, but now it has 25 hospitals which are accredited by the Joint Commission International and these health facilities are considered among the best in Latin America.

Some hospitals are accredited by the Consortium of Brazilian Accreditation and the Brazilian Hospital Medical Quality Organization (ONA) as well as by other regulatory bodies such as the International Organization for Standardization (ISO), the Canadian Council on Health Services (CCHSA) and the Commission on Laboratory Accreditation of the College of American Pathologists (CAP).

Approximately 60% of Brazil's hospitals are privately owned, either profit or non-profit, while the remaining 40% are public hospitals. And 80% of Medi-Traveler patients are catered for by privately-owned health facilities.

Americans can save between 20 and 30 percent by opting for treatment based in the country.

Treatment destinations include the Ivo Pitanguy Clinic in Rio de Janeiro, headed by its namesake, the "king of plastic surgery", Ivo Pitanguy.

Among other services, the clinic offers a psychotherapist to help patients adjust to their new look post-surgery. Its average price for rhinoplasty is 28,000 Brazilian reals (USD$11,841).